I hadn't laid eyes on these King Tigers in over a year, and I had assembled them about 3 years ago! My painting/modelling skills have come a long way since then. I started by airbrushing the basecoat (Vallejo Air Dark Yellow) over the existing paint scheme (see the earlier posts on the Panthers and Desert Tiger for an idea of what the old scheme was like).
Also have a couple of StuGs thrown in the lot
Be careful not to press the blue-tac too firmly onto parts of the model that have deep indentations, such as exhaust vents or stowage. Also, once the blue-tac is applied, take one last look at the models side-by-side to make sure that the camo patterns won't be too similar.
Next I airbrushed the models with Vallejo Air Medium Brown, covering the model (I try to avoid the tracks as much as I can, but I err on the side of getting complete hull coverage).
The paint is only shiny because it's still wet.
Next, I used Vallejo Air Tank Green for the final camo color. The green was applied sparingly to certain parts of each model. Although it won't seem like there is a lot of green on the model, the green will become more prominent after the "dots" are applied.
Now the fun part, peel away (gently...) the blue-tac!
True, the dots are a little big for historical accuracy, but I think they look fine for the tabletop. Also, just in my opinion, I think that for a tabletop piece less-is-more when it comes to the dots.
Much like with the Panthers I am excited with the results, now I just need to do the tracks and the detailing.